Old August 28th 04, 03:02 PM
Tam/WB2TT

"denton" wrote in message
Hi all...
I have converted an old cb antenna to an elevated 1/4 wave ground plane

cut
for 20 meters. I know I can use a 5 watt 100,000 ohm resistor to shut

static
discharges to ground. How many turns of no 14 enamel wire around a T200

core
would it take to do the same job?
thanks in advance, de Denton WB7TDG

Depends on the core material. T200-WHAT?. Generally, you would want the coil
impedance to be at least 10 times the antenna impedance. So, for a 37 Ohm
antenna, 370 Ohms. The coil impedance X(L) at 14 MHz is:

X(L) = 6.28 * 14E6 * L

or L = 370/(6.28 * 14E6)

If you ignore the E6, the answer will be in microhenries. So, L=370/(6.28 *
14) = 4.2uH. You will have to look at the chart for your core to see how
many turns that takes. For the common T200-2 core, it will be 19 turns,
which might not fit. So, use #18 wire - there's very little current flowing
through it.

Tam/WB2TT