Old May 16th 04, 02:49 AM
Nate Nagel

ex_cathedra wrote:

I am hooked on shortwave.
I have killed my TV a long time ago and now even NPR has become
affiliated with ClearchannelŪ and it's reflected in the programming.
=-0=========b l e c h ==
So since I've found out my shortwave radio comes in as good as you
can expect by clipping a wire to the bike (almost anywhere)
I started to take a TECSUN PL 230 with me in the car,and have been
strapping it to the sunroof(with the armband part of an old sports AM
FM radio ) handle and was listening to SW in my car a lot.
As long as the antenna is sticking out of the sunroof it comes in
pretty good.
So ....I sold this car and the new one doesn't have a sunroof.
=-(
I'm no radio expert...but I like the shortwave.
(Especially on weekends WBCQ)
I looked for shortwave radios for cars because someone I know used to
have British sportscars and said that they often had shortwave radios.
I also saw Mercedes had shortwave converters o ebay.
But I don't have a Mercedes =-(
Then there was a Subaru radio that had SW.
But I don't think it would fit in my car.
So....I looked up SW converters on google and there are these kits
(and I know someone who could build it for me)
But he says that this would nly be able to pick up 2 stations.
I have old radios here with SW and they have SW1 and SW2 ...
So they seem to get pretty much everything.
So my question is....
Has anybody ever tried these converters,and will they be able to get
the whole SW1 and SW2 ?
(Like from 2.3 to 23.0 ?)
If so I'm buying one.
This is one of them from a google search.
http://www.outpost.com/product/1743108
They all look pretty much the same.
I think it would be a lot cooler than XM in the car.
(PeeeYeww) That'll be the day I pay for radio.
(I still have never had cabal TV or Sad-ellite)
Paying for TV and now radio sets a bad example for broadcasters.

Unless you need stereo, cassette, CD changer control etc. hang out at
some swap meets for old German cars. might be able to pick up an old
Becker unit for under $100. In fact, I may do that myself... just saw
one in an old Studebaker last show I went to and my immediate reaction
was "that's freaking cool!"

nate
--
go dry to reply.