Old May 16th 04, 09:07 AM
starman

Nicolae Santean wrote:

Hello everybody,

I have a technical question about old analog receivers.

How difficult would be to replace/modify the local oscillator(s) of an
analog receiver in order to make it PLL? Is it actually feasible?

Thanks a lot,

Nic. Santean

It's feasible but not practical, unless you want to do it as a learning
experience. You would have to build an outboard (external) VCO which is
controlled by a PLL system. The output of this VCO would be injected
into the receiver's mixer stage like the original oscillator, which
would have to be disabled and disconnected from the mixer. I suppose it
might be worth the effort for a really good analog receiver, like some
of the old vacuum tube models (boatanchors) but otherwise I wouldn't
bother with it.

I'm assuming you're not confusing a PLL design with a digital frequency
display. You can add a display to most any analog receiver but it will
still have analog tuning.