Old May 17th 04, 12:18 AM
John Barnard

I agree that it is impossible to predict what will happen 10, 50 or 100
years from now. This entire globe is one great big "mess" of complex
chemistry and reactions and the best models aren't that great at predicting
how the biosphere responds to a single input let alone to all the things
that happen simultaneously.

However, it is known that a single catastrophic event can have dire
climatic effects. For example, the quantity of material tossed out by
Krakatoa in 1883 had world-wide effects on climate. Such a large quantity
of material tossed into the atmosphere does cut down on the amount of
sunlight getting in and cooling tend to follow such tremendous volcanic
eruptions. From such observations came the idea that multiple nuclear
explosions would result in a nuclear winter.

I also have no doubt that mankind is very good at destroying or negatively
altering the earth's ecosystems. Chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) can destroy
ozone quite readily and they destroy ozone in a quasi-catalytic manner (ie.
CFCs can eventually be consumed during the process of ozone destruction).

I would also think that dumping tonnes of CO2 into the atmosphere,
potentially beyond the capabilities of the biosphere to handle it, is also
quite self-destructive.

Regards

John Barnard

Telamon wrote:

In article , John Barnard
wrote:

Depends on the pH of the water. Disintegration would occur far more
readily in water that is acidic and would occur much more slowly in
alkaline water. Unless there is a tramatic alteration in the pH of
the oceans and that is unlikely as CO2 dissolved in water can form a
slightly alkaline buffer then I wouldn't think that CO2 released from
coral skeletons would be a big problem.

That is just part of the explanation for the very complex system of
gases, temperatures, currents and chemical composition of the oceans.
The oceans are a large part but still a portion of climate stability.
The jury is still out on what is going to happen 10, 50 or 500 years
from now.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California