Old May 22nd 04, 01:14 PM
Doug Smith W9WI

hwh wrote:
IBOC, because it's at the low end of the dial - 560 kHz, and uses a
directional antenna to broadcast from Northwestern Indiana to Chicago.
Getting the necessary 45 kHz bandwidth on a directional antenna at the low
end of the dial seems to be an engineering worst case scenerio.

I understood this has something to do with the Q-factor of the aerial, is
that correct?
You actually need a bad aerial for IBOC :-)

though really, I would suggest a broadcasting antenna with a high Q
factor is *not* a good antenna... Either the matching network is poorly
designed, or the height of the antenna is such that the resulting
impedance is difficult to match with a reasonable network..
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66