Old August 31st 04, 06:49 PM
Richard Clark

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 21:12:06 -0400, wrote:

O'Higgins is not English. He was an important part of the fight to
breakaway from Spain.

"Richard Harrison" wrote
snip
Hurlingjham is a British neighborhood
in B.A. with its own polo grounds. People send their fourth generation
offspring back "home to the U.K." for education. The main street (high
road) of Santiago is Avenida O`Higgins.

Hi All,

Buenos Aires certainly does not lack for Spanish names in its various
barrios and along its streets, but not all of them are mono-cultural.
Notable in both their in-country airport and a road nearby is the name
Jorge Newberry. The Thames can be found in Palermo. You can stay the
night in the Hotel Waldorf or Hotel Lancaster in the Retiro and shop
at Kelly's - the Irish Embassy is also located in this barrio. There
is also the British Arts Center in the Retiro, as well as the Torre de
los Ingleses (a monument to the English) across the street from the
Plaza Libertador General San Martin (which contains a wall of names of
the fallen in the Malvinas).

When I visited the Cementario de la Recoleta there were plenty of
English and Irish surnames from 150 years ago - not unusual at all.
However, Buenos Aires also sports a very large population of Italians
and is the home to the largest settlement of Jews outside of Europe
and the US. When we were in La Plata, we ate at schnitzel at a
Bavarian styled restaurant.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC