Old May 22nd 04, 03:55 PM
Stephen M.H. Lawrence

"ex_cathedra" wrote
| I tried clipping a wire from the antenna (not the external antenna
| input) to an old magnetic cb antenna we had laying around in the
| garage with my steel car.
| It worked great till I brought the radio inside the car =-(
| Once that antenna gets inside the car out goes the reception.

The best bet of all is to buy a trunk - lip - mount CB antenna,
should be around 20 bucks or so. The antenna will mount to
your front (hood) door edge, on either the right or left. So,
instead of being "trunk mounted," it's "hood mounted.

Run the cable through a grommet in your firewall. You will
have to experiment with locating the wire. If it's close to a
computer chip, it will get noisy (likewise the alternator, coil,
distributor, or spark plugs).

Now, if you don't mind "ugly," you can simply trail the cable
along your front door pillar, and lead in through a window
(rolled up, of course). You might want to pick up a cheap
preamplifier kit from Ramsey Electronics if you're good with
a soldering iron. Short out the coil inside the base of the CB
antenna so it will not resonate on the CB band only.

There you go, for a total cost of thirty or forty bucks, you have
an outstanding, all - purpose antenna that works well for HF
reception.

73,

Steve Lawrence
KAØPMD
Burnsville, Minnesota

(NOTE: My email address has only one "dot."
You'll have to edit out the one between the "7"
and the "3" in my email address if you wish to