Old May 22nd 04, 05:30 PM
DAB sounds worse than FM

Frank Dresser wrote:

There's a cycle to the "better audio will save radio" arguement. FM
would replace AM in the fifties.

If all the AM stations could get on FM, AM would die in the UK.

It didn't. FM stereo would save FM
in the sixties.

The vast majority of people in the UK listen via FM, the only ones that
listen to AM stations are, as I said above, those that listen to AM
stations that can't get on FM.

It didn't. AM stereo would save AM in the eighties.
AM stereo is almost gone, now.

Who needs AM stereo when you've got high quality FM?

I don't know if this is a
generational amnesia thing,

Nah, I'd say you're just summarising things incorrectly.

or it's simply means nobody promotes this
stuff after the patents run out.

Err, nah.

Speaking of "change," I think that's the primary motivation for the
hype.

Ibiquity's website is amusing. Their view of the future is quite
clear. Soon, although the exact dates are undisclosed, we will all be
listening to perfect "High Defination" radio. It will be
everywhere!! No doubt I'll be listening to IBOC radio as I drive my
turbine car or as I fly my jet pack or while I'm relaxing on my next
Pan Am flight to the moon.

You've got a jet pack and you're flying to the moon? I'm impressed. But
why do you want a turbine car when you could use an electric car?

Oh, well, at least the B.S. marketing type$ (aka "Liars") will have
something to shill for.

Life ain't fair. Howcum the shills get all the job security?

cum?

DAB sounds worse than FM, Freeview, digital satellite, cable and
broadband internet radio