Old May 22nd 04, 05:32 PM
J999w

Are many people out there able to listen and decode that **** on the fly and
understand it or are they going through
software programs to decode the stuff.

Software decoding is not the best way to use CW ... it miss copies easily due
to imperfect sending, noise, fading, etc. Copying by ear is by far the most
accurate method. There are MANY hams around the world that are proficient over
30 wpm.

AND

(I know this will sound stupid) but is
there actually someone sitting out there
hammering this stuff out by hand, like in the
old westerns or is it machine made?

Pretty safe to say that most use electronic keyers that will make the dits
and dahs, but hand keys and bugs are still being used.

AND

if machine made why?

Sending with a straight key is tiring after a while. Bugs are better, but one
can send all day (or weekend) with a keyer.

Why are people still sending info with Morse Code?
Haven't we
sort of moved beyond that, if you know what I mean??

NEVER ! :^]

I won't start that discussion here, but personally, I enjoy CW. I find it
relaxing, even at brisk speeds.

Zaphod "wishing all a good day"

and to you !

73,