Old May 23rd 04, 03:57 PM
craigm

Richard L. wrote:

In message
"Brenda Ann Dyer" wrote:

Digital radio and television are lame schemes, period. To get the same
quality as analog, you have to have a much wider bandwidth in digital.
Encoding schemes are ways of narrowing bandwidth required to broadcast, but
they all have some trade-offs. I've not been impressed with digital
satellite at all. Too much weather related dropout, and too much
pixelization, especially during fast scene transitions..

If you're getting weather-related drop-outs, it means your dish
installation is inadequate -- not big enough, not pointing in the
right direction, or suffering from water penetration.

Some of the pixelization is also due to the brodcasters using a data rate that is way too low. This and some of the other artifacts that result from the low data rate are quite annoying.

But they really can't be used to say Digital broadcasts are not a viable method. Some of the best images I've seen are also digitally broadcast.

It is not that it is digital that causes problems, it is poorly done digital that is the issue. Analog can also be done poorly or well. For example excessive compression and band limiting the audio just to get more punch.

Just my opinion,

craigm