Old May 23rd 04, 03:55 PM
Keyboard In The Noise

Yes there are many folks out here that can copy high speed Morse code.

There are many CW ops that can copy 20+ wpm Morse code -- some in their head
without writing or typing it.

Some use decoders - they work sort of OK - IF the code received has the
correct spacing and the signal is fairly strong. I know of very few Amateur
Extras that use a decoder -- as many Amateur Extras can copy 20 WPM or
higher -- it was a requirement for the license until a few years ago -- now
it is 5 WPM. But some learn it to get the license and never use it and are
not proficient in Morse.

Keep in mind -- many ops copied code for many hours for many months or
years -- such as military and shipboard radio ops or amateur radio ops and
it is like a second language to them -- they can hear the sound of whole
words and Q signals and thus have a vocabulary in Morse.

A Navy chief I worked with could copy 20+ WPM code in his head and carry on
a conversation with me at the same time.

An analogy is perhaps typing skills -- at first it is slow but good typists
can type 100 WPM and not blink an eye -- an acquired skill that takes
practice and time to develop proficiency. Comes easy to some -- for others
it is a case of dogged determination (like me) -- both Morse and typing
(:-)

Today many CW ops use an electronic keyer to achieve high speed. Some use a
keyboard. A few purists still use a straight key or bug.

Morse code is just another form of communication -- it can be copied at
times where voice is too weak.
Even if Hams speak different languages -- they can communicate essentials
with Morse using Q-signals and recognized abbreviations.

It is a lot of fun to have and use this skill -- perhaps like using a manual
shift in your car as opposed to automatic shift.

And then some gun nuts like black powder rifle shooting and some hunters use
a bow and arrow -- go figure (:-)

--
Keyboard In The Noise -- an old Extra class Ham

Opinions are the cheapest commodities in the world. Author unknown but
"right on"

"Gary" wrote in message
On Sat, 22 May 2004 11:06:28 -0500, "Zaphon B."
wrote:

I made mention of the fact earlier that I was
hearing Morse Code that seemed to
be transmitted so fast that it was almost like it was some other form of
communication. So questions.

Are many people out there able to listen and decode that **** on the fly

and
understand it or are they going through
software programs to decode the stuff.

AND

(I know this will sound stupid) but is
there actually someone sitting out there
hammering this stuff out by hand, like in the
old westerns or is it machine made?

AND

if machine made why? Why are people still sending info with Morse Code?
Haven't we
sort of moved beyond that, if you know what I mean??

Zaphod "wishing all a good day"