Old May 23rd 04, 06:26 PM
Mark Keith

"Brenda Ann Dyer" wrote in message

The 10-365 pf section of the tuning cap is used to tune the antenna loop
circuit (and/or the RF amplifier circuit if it's a three gang tuner). The
oscillator section usually runs around 5-185 pf or so..

The older analog tuning stereo's are a great source of multi-gang
caps. The one I'm using now, came from a big monster kenwood reciever
from the 70's. Three 365pf stages, and 5 more small value stages.
"maybe 50-100 pf??" Not sure...
Great cap for any loop, if you want a wide tuning range. Some stereo's
use two 365 pf gangs, and three smaller gangs. Those are good too, and
will provide for sure all band coverage, and then some. I used one of
those on another loop I built recently. Now, if I ever see an ancient
stereo with analog tuning, toasted or not, I grab it. Just the cap is
worth the hassle of dragging it home. There is at least one source on
web for a good variety of caps that are good for loops. One place in
particular has quite a few types/values, etc. You can do a search for
variable capacitors, and it should come up. MK