Old May 24th 04, 02:16 AM
Jay Heyl

In article , md1966
@optonline.net says...
No question about the dial... I wish the SR-III was digital. IMO, that is
the major draw back of the SR-III. Instead of the CCrane antenna, I may
decide to buy the CC Radio Plus instead. Having a digital radio will
probably be more of a boost to my medium wave DXing then getting another
feritte bar for my SR-III that already has a nice big one in it.

IMO, the CCRadio+ is grossly overpriced. It's well built and has a lot
of nice features, but it's not remotely close to "the best AM radio",
and is not a particularly good value for the money. The biggest problem
is the single filter that's as wide as a barn door. If you want to hear
a weak distant station next to a strong local one, you can pretty much
forget it. It's also more susceptible than it should be to strong
signal overload. It does okay off the internal antenna, but hook up a
good external antenna and a strong local signal will blanket the dial.

Unless you need the TV/weather bands or have some other specific use for
one of the CCRadio special features, I'd recommend looking at the
Grundig S350. It's analog tuning with a digital display. It has two
filter widths to help in reducing interference from neighboring
stations. It sounds better than the CCRadio (though, the CCRadio can
play louder without distortion). It also brings SW to the party. And, if
you're willing to pull out all the stops, Kiwa has audio and filter
upgrades available.

-- Jay