Old May 25th 04, 05:38 AM
Telamon

In article ,
Doug Smith W9WI wrote:

Stephen M.H. Lawrence wrote:
"Richard L." wrote:
| If you're getting weather-related drop-outs, it means your dish
| installation is inadequate -- not big enough, not pointing in the
| right direction, or suffering from water penetration.
|
| --
| Richard L.

Wrongo, Limey-boy!

Study the physics of microwave propagation,
paying particular attention to moisture attenuation,
then get back with the group when you're up to speed.

More excuses from digital shills: It seems like they've got
an answer for everything!

Does the same thing with Ku-band analog. And *doesn't* happen with
C-band digital. (our most critical link at work is Ku-band digital; we
have a C-band digital hot standby)

You can't eliminate the dropouts completely but increasing the gain of
the system *will* improve the situation. When the signal fades due to
rain attenuation, a higher-gain system will keep the signal above the
noise threshold longer.

Rain is not the only problem for satellites. How about when they line up
with the Sun? Doesn't that also cause problems?

--
Telamon
Ventura, California