Old September 2nd 04, 04:30 AM
Richard Harrison

Richard Clark wrote:
"You can stay the night in the Hotel Waldorf or the Hotel Lancaster in
the Retiro and shop at Kelly`s-"

I usually stayed at the Claridge just off the pedestrian shopping street
La Calle Florida. The company installed me there on my first arrival in
Buenos Aires as I had no preference. When I returned there after a 6
month absence and was joyfully greeted by my name from the doorman. I
was hooked.

On one of my 6 month tours in Argentina, I decided to give the Sussex
Hotel across the street from the Claridge a try as all the oil field
hands seemed to stay there. I arrived out of cigarettes, dying for a
smoke, and asked the desk clerk if the Sussex had a smoke shop. When the
clerk said no, I told him to send my luggage on up to my room while I
shopped for cigarettes.

The clerk spyed me when I re-entered the hotel and called me over to
give me a message from my wife who was very eager to see me. I thanked
him although at that time I`d never been married, but I had discovered
the main attraction of the Sussex Hotel! And they say a gringo is no
damn good when he speaks Spanish!

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI