Old May 26th 04, 07:55 PM
Patchmaster

(Tom) wrote in message . com...
I've recently run across an old 70's multiband radio. It has five
bands on it. Air/Police High/Weather, FM, Police Low, SW1/SW2, and AM.
I can pick up shortwave 1 and 2 very well as well as FM and AM. The
problem is, I can hear FM stations on Police Low, but the biggest
problem is that I can't hear a thing on the Air/Police High/Weather
band. Are these bands dead or is something wrong with my radio?

I believe most police radio service moved out of the range used by
aircraft quite a while ago. Many have now moved to 800MHz trunked
systems that are very difficult to follow without a specialized radio.
I believe aircraft are still in the same frequency range, though
transmissions will be difficult to catch unless you live near an
airport. If you can find a frequency list for a nearby airport, try
listening to the approach and departure frequencies for a while.
You're unlikely to hear the ground transmission unless you're very
close, but the transmission from the aircraft should be picked up over
a fairly wide area.

I'm not sure if the weather transmissions are still in the same range
as in the 70's. It could also be that you don't live near one of the
weather stations.

-- Jay