Old May 27th 04, 01:11 AM
Brenda Ann Dyer

"dxAce" wrote in message

dxAce wrote:

Brenda Ann Dyer wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

Doug wrote:
No new Novice, Technician Plus, or Advanced Class amateur service
operator licenses will be issued. These licenses, however, may be
modified or renewed. Technician Plus class operator licenses will

be
converted to Technician Class licenses if renewed. Technician

Plus
class
operator licenses will also be
converted to Technician Class when modified to show a vanity call

sign.

I think this is in error. Technician Plus licensees are already

eligible
for a General Class license simply for the asking, since the

Technician Plus
license (formerly the coded Technician license, was renamed to

Technician
Plus to differentiate it from the No-Code Technician license, now

called
simply Technician Class) is/was obtained by taking the written

requirements
for a General Class license, while retaining the code requirement for

only a
Novice Class license (5WPM). Under current rules, General Class only
requires 5WPM, so the old Technician Plus is basically grandfathered.

They
have only to show that they had their Technician license before the

No-Code
Technician licenses began being issued.

I'm not 100% sure of that, as I recall I may have received the part

about the
license upgrades directly from the FCC, but I don't remember.

I'll have to go look it up again.

Here is some info from ARRL:

http://www.arrl.org/news/restructuring/

Thanks Steve, but that information is dated. I went in on April 18, 2000
and got my General. All I had to do was prove that I was a Tech Plus
licensee who had passed the 5WPM code test (which I did, in 1983). Lot of
new General's were born on 4/15/00.. The article you posted to was right in
one way... they didn't just automatically send out General tickets to every
Tech Plus.. you actually had to go to your local VEC and fill out the
paperwork, and offer proof of meeting the code requirement.