Old May 30th 04, 11:04 PM
Stig Hartvig Nielsen

"starman" wrote:
The success of DRM doesn't depend on perfect propagation conditions. If
it did, the proponents of this technology wouldn't consider using it for
ionospheric propagation. It's a matter of how degraded the conditions
can be before the digital signal can not be decoded properly. DRM has
considerable tolerance for poor propagation.

I have to disagree.

After trying the first "stand alone" DRM receiver for a week now (from
MAYAH) - I must say that so far I haven't been able to listen to ANY
broadcasts in DRM without many, many breaks. With the built in telescopic
aerial hardly anything in DRM is receivable but with an outdoor longwire
aerial I do get a few of the VERY strongest stations broadcasting in DRM,
such as RN, RTL and DW. However, so far I haven't heard anything souding
reasonable. It is impossible to follow a programme because when the signal
fades out briefly the sound will become very distorted and then disappear
for a few seconds or even several seconds - then the distorted audio appears
again and then clean audio for a while till the next deep fade.

As everyone knows - with AM you can easily follow a programme even though
there is some fading.

Either is the MAYAH DRM receiver very very poor - or DRM is only usuable
when you have a local, stable signal with no fading.

Best 73s,
Stig Hartvig Nielsen,
Denmark