Old January 20th 05, 10:15 AM

Leo wrote:
The following bulletin was sent out today by the Radio Amateurs of
Canada HQ:

Great stuff, Leo! Thanks for posting it.

After following the link and reading, I see a couple of interesting
points:

1) The expressed support for reduction of code testing in Canada is
overwhelming. A clear mandate from those who commented.

2) The proposal, if I understand it correctly, does not completely
eliminate Morse Code testing. Instead, it offers alternative ways of
getting a license, with or without a code test.

3) The comment period was only 60 days long, and only about 150 people
(mostly already-licensed amateurs, I think) commented.

---

It's interesting to note that the various code test
reduction/elimination proposals here in the USA have had a very
different response.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Industry Canada has analyzed the responses to the public consultation

called under Canada Gazette Notice DGRB-003-04. A summary of the
comments received and the individual replies are now available on the

Industry Canada web site at

http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/inter.../sf08280e.html.

Amateurs should note that while the responses heavily favoured
deletion of the Morse Qualification as a requirement for access to

the
HF bands, Industry Canada still has to make and announce a decision

on
Morse retention or deletion. Until a decision to delete Morse is
announced, amateurs who do not hold the Morse Qualification may not
operate on the HF bands below 30 MHz.

It's almost over up here now - decision time is just around the
corner!

73, Leo