Old June 3rd 04, 09:32 PM
Nicolae Santean

Okay, I think we should take it slowly (probably I have less knowledge than
you think).

Assume we talk about a receiver's antenna.

A dipole antenna is said to be a "balanced" system. To what apply the
qualifier "balanced"? What is "balanced" in the dipole? RF current
distribution (should be along this line)?

Then, about the feed lines. If an arbitrary cable is impedance-matched to
the antenna and is not grounded, it seems that the current distribution
mimics that of the antenna. Is grounding which makes a difference ? What can
be "unbalanced" in a feed line?

I am interested in understanding the concept, really. Intuitively, when
something is qualified as "unbalanced", it refers to some sort of asymmetry
in characteristics. What specifically are these characteristics and
why/where are they asymmetric?

So really, the question stands up. Please be more elementary in explanation.
Thanks a lot.

Cordially,

Nic.
http://www.csd.uwo.ca/~nic

"Nicolae Santean" wrote in message

In what sense is said that

a coax. cable is an unbalance line
an antenna is a balanced system
a twin cable is a balanced line ?

Of course a second question would be how does the balun interface a

balanced
and an unbalanced system?

http://www.newsfeed.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----== 100,000 Groups! - 19 Servers! - Unlimited Download! =-----