Old June 3rd 04, 11:37 PM
dxAce

dxAce wrote:

Currently both frequencies here are S9 to 10 over at 2230.

And I just tried them with a 10' wire inside the aluminium sided shack and get
them both at about S6.

Still a decent signal, listening in AM with the 6 kHz filter on the R8.

Michael wrote:

06/03/04 @ 21:50 UTC

Done with R-75 and 200ft "FRANKENSTEIN"

7190; In am mode there is moderate noise and fade out. There is also a
serious heterodyne or some kind of IF causing a groan/whistle on the usb.
Signal from a low of s-3 to a high of s-8 in am. LSB is nice and clear.
Peak modulation brings it up to a max of s-6 in LSB. It is still a bit
noisy but some nr helps enough to make it practical to listen to in lsb.

7225: Solid in am mode and a fair bit cleaner then the 7190 signal. In am a
low of s-6 to a height of s-8. Good in both lsb and usb. In ssb at peak
modulation it is also a max of s-6.

I tried my PL-550 and my KA-1102 on both signals using the Tecsun external
reel antenna and found that neither radio is doing a good job of dealing
with it. Both are nothing but LOTS of noise on 7190. On 7225, you can hear
it on both radios, but it is noisy as all get out. Usually, I find that my
portables can hear most of what my R-75 can hear, but it this case, they
cant.

Clearly, 7190 has problems making it here clearly for one reason or another
compared to 7225 that is doing well on the R-75. Despite that though, in
ssb on the R-75, even though 7190 is more noisy, both come in at a max of
s-6 when they are in ssb.
--
Respectfully,

Michael

Location: New Jersey
Primary Receiver: R-75 with full Kiwa mods
Antennas: G5RV, 200ft "Frankenstein" roof wire
Additional Radios: KA-1101,KA-1102,PL-550,
KA-989, Info-Mate 837, GE-SR III
Westinghouse H-104 (seven tube)
Web Site: http://md_dxing.tripod.com