Old September 5th 04, 12:49 AM
Dave Shrader

The loops are supposed to overlap!!! In the event of a broken insulator
the antenna is still suspended and not on the ground!!

For a successful installation use wire for the antenna [of course] and
antenna rope for the connection to the supporting end. If the insulator
breaks, your antenna is still 100% operable.

J. Mc Laughlin wrote:

Dear Ken: The wire loops overlap. The insulator is in compression not
tension. If the insulator breaks, the wire is still, sort of, supported.
The "egg" insulators that I have used did not have a groove that went
all of the way around.
For reference: about how large are your insulators?
73 Mac N8TT

--
J. Mc Laughlin; Michigan U.S.A.
Home:
"Ken" wrote in message

I just picked up some small egg insulators and have a question.

I had assumed that the wire went through the hole, was routed back in
the groove to the far end of the insulator, and was twisted back on
the standing part. The two loops overlap, as it were. However, the
groove for the wire continues all around the egg, including the near
end of the insulator opposite the standing part. This suggests some
kind of fancy wire routing is expected.

How come they continue the groove all around? Do these sometimes get
used with the insulator in tension and the loops not overlapping?

Ken KC2JDY

Ken
(to reply via email
remove "zz" from address)