Old September 5th 04, 12:39 PM
Richard Fry

"Roy Lewallen" wrote:
Sorry, it still isn't clear.

What, then, is "system SWR"? How do you define it?

System SWR is the net SWR of a component assembly present at its input
terminals. "Antenna system SWR" then is comprised of the net SWR of
everything in the RF path from the output of the SWR meter to and including
the antenna. In a transmitter, the antenna system begins electrically at
the output of the SWR meter -- physically close to the output connector of
the tx.

Obviously, if we have a voltage or current source of fixed value
and change the source impedance, the power delivered by the
source changes,

But the mechanism I've described considers the re-reflection by a mismatched
source of power not initially absorbed by a mismatched load -- not that a
change of source impedance changed the total power flowing out of the
source.

...both the "forward" and "reverse" powers
will change, but by the same fraction...

Agree. I'm not so sure that the Model 43 or equivalent methods used in/with
transmitters accurately preserves the power ratios under these conditions,
though.

RF