Old June 8th 04, 03:47 AM
Nicolae Santean

A slinky works as well. I personally have 4 slinkies serialized (they have a
grip at each end, which make it easy to attach one to another) and suspended
on a rope across the ceiling of my room, in front of the window. This way, I
have about 80m of wire fit on a 5m rope (a spiral neatly spaced at 1cm
step). It works quite good for general broadcast listening : Romania,
Bulgaria, Vatican, Turkey, India, China, Vietnan, Netherlands, Sweden ,
Spain, Cuba, Slovakia, Ucraine, Serbia, South Korea, Russia, ... and the
list goes on. I should start collecting QSL cards :-)

The secret to this indoor loaded inverted L antenna is to place a
counterpoise under your bed: about 5m of wire laying down on the floor and
connected to the grounding of your receiver.

This solution stands up in my case, after trying many loop antennas for HF.
It works quite well, and it eliminates the burden of fine tuning the antenna
for each frequency. I really recommend it for SWL.

Yours cordially,

Nic.
http://www.csd.uwo.ca/~nic/radio/radio.shtml

"Hidalgo" wrote in message
Is the length or the shape of the antenna more important?

I live in an apartment and can't put up an outside antenna. The Grundig
YB400PE I just bought came with one of those little wire antennas that

winds
up. You attach one end to something, and spool out the antenna to the

radio.
It works, but no so well.

I was thinking of making my own antenna out of some wire, but my apartment
is of limited size. So, I was wondering if I could run it around the

outline
of the apartment. Maybe up at the junction of the wall and ceiling, hidden
in the "joint" there. But then I got to wondering if that would defeat the
purpose. Wouldn't a straight line antenna work best? And wouldn't the
antenna work best it was was parallel to the "line" upon which the signal
propagates?

Sorry is these are dumb questions. I bought the antenna to entertain

myself
during the recovery period after an upcoming surgery and I want the best
possible reception.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.newsfeed.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----== 100,000 Groups! - 19 Servers! - Unlimited Download! =-----