Old September 5th 04, 07:30 PM
Reg Edwards

"Wes Stewart" wrote in message
On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 12:18:09 +0000 (UTC), "Reg Edwards"
wrote:

|What's a directional coupler?
|What do they look like?
|Don't bother answering those questions.
|
|Why do the arguers, when caught in a tight corner, always escape to UHF

for
|help from directional couplers?
|
|There are NO directional couplers at HF. They are as scarce as real swr
|meters. So they cannot be used in futile attempts to explain what really
|happens at HF.
|
|You're next move will be to drag in scattering-matrices.

Why not. I have used an HP3577 network analyzer with an S-parameter
test set that was specified to work over the frequency range of 100 Hz
to 200 Mhz.

I guess the guys at HP didn't realize that you can't do this.

=================================

Wes,

Why do USA citizens invariably introduce the type numbers of their
favourite, indeed worshipped articles when they have not the slightest
bearing on an argument. To base one's position on a lifeless piece of
hardware rather than logic is surely unsafe.

What on Earth is an HP3577? In the whole of my career I have never heard of
the number 3577. Is it a prime? Traditionally, in the UK, the letters HP
on the side of a savoury sauce bottle stand for "Houses of Parliament".

Unless a 3577 can unambiguously measure the swr on a non-existent
transmission line I'm afraid its presence will serve only to further
agravate the argument. Which I'm sure is the last thing you would want. ;o)

Can it?
---
Reg, G4FGQ