Old September 6th 04, 01:12 AM
Roy Lewallen

Richard Fry wrote:
"Roy Lewallen" wrote:

Sorry, it still isn't clear.

What, then, is "system SWR"? How do you define it?

System SWR is the net SWR of a component assembly present at its input
terminals. "Antenna system SWR" then is comprised of the net SWR of
everything in the RF path from the output of the SWR meter to and including
the antenna. In a transmitter, the antenna system begins electrically at
the output of the SWR meter -- physically close to the output connector of
the tx.

You've still lost me. Let's say the "component assembly" is a half
wavelength of 75 ohm transmission line terminated with a 75 ohm
resistor. What is its "net SWR"? How about a half wavelength of 75 ohm
line terminated with 50 ohms? Or a plain 75 ohm resistor? You surely
have an equation you use to calculate "system SWR" or "net SWR" -- can
you share it with us?

This is getting more complicated rather than simpler. We now have "true
SWR", "antenna system SWR", and "net SWR". Quite a step from the ratio
of maximum to minimum voltages on a transmission line.

. . .

Roy Lewallen, W7EL