Old September 6th 04, 02:58 AM
Walter Maxwell

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 17:01:14 -0500, "Richard Fry" wrote:

"Walter Maxwell"
Thank you Rick, I've received the Mendenhall paper, which
I'll review and comment later. (etc)

______________

Thanks for your very civil response. I was on Geoff Mendenhall's staff for
some years before I retired, and will contact him to ask for his response to
whatever of your points seem appropriate for that. He's a very busy person
these days and may not have the time to get involved, but there's no harm in
trying.

RF

Hi Rich, it's interesting that you were on Geoff's staff. On the paper you sent
me, the location of the company appears as Quincy, IL. When I bought the tx for
new BC stn WCEN in 1948 it was from Gates Radio in Quincy. Is it possible that
Geoff's business is a spinoff from Gates?

It's also interesting that you were also with RCA BC Div. I was with the RCA
Labs in Princeton, and working with me in the same lab room in 1960 was Don
Peterson, who was running an experiment suggested by Dr. George Brown. The
experiment was in developing the use of TDR for finding discontinuities in RF
feed lines for TV. With the success of his experiments we could pinpoint the
location of a discontinuity that produced a reflection causing no greater than
1.03 SWR. He developed a kit for use in the field for locating ghost problems in
the lines connecting the tx to the antenna. Were you aware of Don's work in this
area?

Walt