Old June 11th 04, 07:26 AM
krackula

it doesn't have to be in your apartment .... computers and
monitors as much as 1/2 to 1 block away can / will cause interference
to shortwave receivers. some WAY more
than others. rf noise pollution is a skyrocketing problem
in most metro areas and places where there is much
population density. stuff like the new plasma TV sets and
many of the other TV types too are loaded with computer
type circuitry to boot. light dimmers such as the x-10 stuff
can drive you nuts ... and I've recently seen even a
defective electric fan cause severe interference 3 houses
up the street. living in metro areas will tax the resolve of
most shortwave enthusiasts to say the least and it will only
get worse.

large , high , " resonant " antennas , combined with shielded
coax lead-in, excellent earth grounding and metal cabinet
shielding for the Rx help. using those tunable shortwave " loop "
antennae will help null some noise sources too , tho they are
expensive for good ones.

Brian,

Thanks!

From the examples here on this site, I'd say it's probably some of the
computer equipment around the apartment.

I turn the monitor off and power off the computer, but my cable modem stays
on always. And even though the monitor is turned off, it's still connected
to the power cord and may very well be generating RFI.

I'll experiement with actually unpluging some of it and find out.

Thanks again!