Old June 11th 04, 11:54 AM
dxAce

Mike Terry wrote:

Radio Finland, the external service of the Finnish Broadcasting Company
(YLE), may close down its service on the shortwave and mediumwave bands.
This would leave external service programming available only via satellite
and on the Internet. The aim would be to cut expenses. Currently
distribution costs for Radio Finland total 3.4 million euros annually. YLE
Administrative Council is expected to decide the fate of shortwave later
this year. In 2002 (see DXing.info news in June and September 2002 as well
as a history of the cuts in the DXing.info Community) Radio Finland closed
down its services in English, German and French, while Finnish, Swedish and
Russian programming continued on shortwave as well as for Northern Europe
also on the mediumwave band. A source at YLE tells DXing.info that possible
lobbying from the part of DXers would only reduce the chances of remaining
on the air, because the only justification for shortwave is to serve
expatriate Finns, who number about 250.000. A decision to cut shortwave
would become easier if the station is viewed as serving primarily a fringe
audience of radio hobbyists.

(DXing.info, June 9, 2004)

Some other comments from DXLD:

A point I have made over and over again for the past several decades,
often to the irritation of DXers. But still people insist on write-in
campaigns which only serve to convince the broadcasters that the
people listening are not the ones they want to reach. I'm glad that
this point has been made, especially by a broadcaster and Web site in
a country where DXing remains a popular hobby (Andy Sennitt, June 10,
dxldyg via DXLD)

Ah, then, we hobbyists should all write to YLE urging them to close it
down, so they will not close it down in order to spite us! Actually,
the only language they use any more I can sort of understand is Latin
(gh, WORLD OF RADIO 1233, DXLD)

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B