Old September 6th 04, 10:12 AM
Richard Harrison

Walter, W2DU wrote:
"Is it possible that Geoff`s business is a spinoff grom Gates?"

Harris Intertype Corporation, predecessor of Harris Electronics,
axquired Quincy, IL`s Gates Radio in the 1950`s, I believe. Then Harris
really hit the acquisition trail. It acquired R.F. Communications, a
2-way radio manufacturer. It also acquired a telephone and SCADA
equipment manufacturer, which had a government equipment and
semiconductor division in Florida. It acquired Farinon Electric a
microwave manufacturer in California. There were other acquisitions,
Lanier which made office equipment such as duplicators. It acquired a
hardware manufacturer which made 19-inch equipment racks among its
products. I don`t about other shuffles in Harris` portfolio of
companies, but the companies it bought were among the best at what they
did at the time of acquisition.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI