Old September 6th 04, 11:15 AM
Richard Harrison

Walter, W2DU wrote:
"A conjugate match can be obtained for any loading you choose."

No doubt. A conjugate match permits maximum power transfer. No other
load can extract as much output as a conjugate match. Were I designing a
broadcast transmitter for a 50-ohm or a 75-ohm load, I would want my
money`s worth from the output devices I`ve selscted, consistent with a
long useful duration.

I`d design for a conjugate match at the rated load and include overload
protection for an output short circuit or near short. For solid-state
I`d provide overvoltage protection.in addition to overcurrent
protection.

Harris solid-state medium wave transmitters have a number of amplifiers
supplying the output and a faulty amplifier can be easily removed from
service while the remainder continue operation almost as if nothing had
happened, if I read their internet pages correctly.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI