Old June 14th 04, 03:40 AM
Stinger

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"RHF" wrote in message
om...

FD,

First of all the 'poor' in Africa is the average common man and
woman living in a village or town. These 'poor' Africans only
speak their local reagional dialect of some native landguage.

I know we've dropped some African languages, and I think that's a mistake.
Still,Arabic, English and French are common second languages, if not first
languages.

More and more of the Message to the 'poor' in Africa is being
done with [in country] FM Radio Sations vice Shortwave Radio.
The process is two fold: Getting cheap low cost AM/FW Radios
into every Hut and Home. {The most coommon Radios to be found
and the easist to use.} Getting your message out to the locals
via a low cost medium powered FM Station. Distribution is done
via Satellite or the Internet to the local FM Stations.

~ RHF

.

Satellite is ideal for rebroadcasting, but I hope we aren't using the
internet for that purpose. Anyway, I know tropical band SW broadcasting

is
greatly diminished, but it's still there. And we should be broadcasting

on
SW to the third world at least as long as there are some people listening

their SW radios.

Frank Dresser

I took my Kaito 1102 with me to San Pedro, Belize last week, and am happy to
report that there is PLENTY of shortwave to listen to down there. However,
they do have noisy powerlines (or generators, or something that makes a
racket on various frequencies).

Just for grins, I also tried some MW dx with it and was really surprised to
be able to listen to George Noory on WOAI (San Antonio). The signal was
fairly weak but steady, but since there weren't a lot of MW signals out
there to interfere, the 1102 pulled it right in.

FM was the biggest surprise. Two stations -- one playing Mexicano-style
stuff, the other -- get this -- country western (the time I checked -- 88.1
Mhz or so).

-- Stinger