Old June 14th 04, 02:39 PM
Jon Noring

Telamon wrote:
Patrick Turner wrote:

The discussion has everything to do with listening to the BCB,
and radio theory.

If you would spend time reading the group you would see the several
cross posted threads don't mesh well with rec.radio.shortwave. The
group is generally about listening to SW, BCB and sometimes long
wave. There is discussions about radios specifications, antennas and
receiving challenges. Other topics revolve around the programming or
hearing pirates and the like. Yes the group goes off topic a lot on
what people listen to on short wave.

There is no good reason to cross post these threads to three groups.

I'm the one who started and cross-posted the related topics (of
building a tube-based AM receiver) to the three newsgroups, including
rec.radio.shortwave. I have read r.r.s. for a long time, and the start
of the thread did cross over into r.r.s. land since I was interested
in the tube design also being suitable for MW DX use, thus reaching
out to MW DXers interested in this who otherwise don't read the other
two newsgroups (and indeed a few people from r.r.s. chimed in saying
they were quite interested in this general thread.)

It is clear the thread was suitably on-topic for r.r.s., as it was
on-topic for the other groups. It's definitely more on-topic to
r.r.s. than the political crap which pervades r.r.s. (I personally
think that the r.r.s. crowd should begin the long process to add
moderation to the group, to get rid of the garbage -- or simply
create a moderated YahooGroup and tell everyone we're moving there.)

Of course, like all threads, they evolve. And the last couple days the
focus has changed towards building a tube tuner most suitable for
local high-powered stations, which is of less interest to the r.r.s.
crowd.

Nevertheless, I believe the threads are sufficiently on-topic to
r.r.s. to not warrant some pro-active effort to try to stop. And as
Patrick noted, all threads die of old-age, to be replaced by new
threads. That's the dynamics of newsgroups (I've created and moderated
dozens of newsgroups in the last 15 years, so I am very aware of their
dynamics, which includes the birth and death of discussion threads.)

Now, back to our regularly scheduled discussion of the "channel TRF"
tube tuner (and spinoff topics)!

Jon Noring