Old June 14th 04, 08:34 PM
T. Early

"Roy" wrote in message
Looking to purchase a good quality radio under $150. What features
should I look for? Thanks

IMO, the previously mentioned Sony 7600GR (available in your price
range) has the three most useful portable features--SSB, synch
detection, and sufficient preset memories so a person new to the hobby
doesn't have to commit frequencies to memory. But, with the
availability of the Degan DE-1102 and DE-1103 new on eBay, I think
another question is relevant--do you want a radio that (based on word
of mouth) is an excellent performer and still costs considerably less.
If the portable is to be the only radio you're likely to get, I'd
probably spring for the Sony. But if you think you might want to
upgrade later to a new/used tabletop in ,say, the $500 range, the
Degans enable you to get a start with a good, reasonable priced
portable, see if you enjoy what you hear, and put the extra $$$ away
for the *next* radio .