Old June 16th 04, 12:58 AM
Patrick Turner

snip,

Note again that Patrick himself said that IF is not needed when one is
building a single frequency receiver -- and from his comments he is a
very strong advocate of superhet design for a tunable receiver. That's
all the channel TRF is: a single frequency receiver, duplicated n
number of times (where n is the number of channels one wants to tune,
which are switched in and out.)

The downsides of a channel TRF are obvious: plumbing (wiring)
complexity for an all-channel BCB tuner, and not being able to
continuously tune all frequencies within the BCB.

I would think that a kit should be simple, the proposed solution is not.

At 120+ channels, the channel TRF is intimidating (the switch box and
individual tuning circuits), but at 15-20, with the plugin
architecture I am thinking of, it does not look that complicated,
especially if a lot of the architecture and components we see used in
PCs can be utilized.

120 separate AM channels with perhaps 480 discrete LCs and two tubes each is an
entirely
overcomplex and impractical idea.

Pigs would fly before you make a profit selling any kits.

You'd need a 6.3 volt x 72 amp power supply just for the filaments alone,
as well as 2 amps x 300v for the B+.

Please re-arrange your mind's thinking to permit practical and saleable and
effective ideas only.

Patrick Turner.