Old September 8th 04, 04:26 AM
Richard Clark

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 18:12:35 -0700, Wes Stewart
wrote:

He has a lot more inductance that he thinks, so maybe that
helps and I suspect his output lowpass filter (seen in the photos but
not on the schematic) is part of the matching network.

I'm really surprised that with the construction and documentation
presented he could get FCC type acceptance.

Hi Wes,

Still and all, a good story of the exploit.

Well given the measurements, it seemed some filtering was necessarily
unmentioned. And given the FCC type acceptance (obviously allowed),
the measurements (or rather the quality of the gear) were sufficient.
I especially find the scrawled notes submitted with the acceptance
application a time capsule back to the days before computers (or
seemingly the IBM selectric).

Still and all, he described where he was going, and offered how he
thought he got there. To translate that to today's specifications
"missing" the output Z of transmitters (obviously part and parcel to
the canon of the design engineer who built them) because of their
irrelevance - that is a stretch of imagination right off the showroom
floor. And then to notice in the ad copy, they can build to other
output Z's...

I find the novel modulation techniques interesting though. Seems like
an alphabet soup of modes has sprung up over the years.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC