Old June 19th 04, 11:45 PM
Jeff Seale

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 12:47:18 -0400, Jim Shaffer, Jr. wrote:

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 01:56:58 GMT, Jeff Seale wrote:

I like to download NOAA weather maps from the USCG every once in a while
when the signal quality is AOK. A typical download of a single map/photo
takes about 10 minutes though but it's still kinda' fun.

The coolest-looking weather fax in North America is from Halifax. A lot of the
maps are still hand-drawn, or were the last time I checked. 4269.1, 6494.5,
10534.1, and 13508.1 kHz. Between charts they run RTTY.

Those CFH people apparently do 'final edits' on those maps before they're
transmitted, that would explain all the drawings you see on those. CFH also
transmits on 10943 kHz and sends this message:

NAWS DE CFH ZKR F1 WIWW EEOR RQUP YWTR IEPE QWEIP QYTUY WWQIW AR

over and over again only on this particular frequency. Not sure what this
gibberish means though. I know ZKR is a Z signal of some kind, but what's
with the rest of that stuff?

Jeff Seale
Louisville, KY
Satellit 800, YB550PE, DX440, BC780, Pro95