Old June 20th 04, 02:35 PM
Joe Analssandrini

Dear Arthur,

ALL analog radios drift. Even the Hammarlund HQ-180 and others of its
class drifted to some extent! The very best analog radios, such as
that Hammarlund, however, will "hold" their settings for a long time,
sometimes even hours on SW, but even a "rock-steady" analog-tuned
radio will drift. This is the nature of the beast and is the reason
that I shall NEVER again buy ANY analog-tuned radio (unless, of
course, someone comes up with some "locking" feature that prevents
drift). So far, no one has been able to eliminate this drift entirely,
even in an expensive analog radio.

As you have found out, the Grundig S-350 certainly does not belong in
the class of "the very best analog radios." (What do you expect for
$100? eton/Grundig/Tecsun "ain't" Hammarlund or Drake engineering!) It
does have good sound and is good on MW and FM so appreciate it for
what it does well and, if you really want a portable for semi-serious
SW listening, you'll have to go elsewhere.

The Sony ICF-SW7600GR along with a good amplified speaker (your
choice) attached to its line output is a good SW/sound performer, and
even more so if you get an AN-LP1 antenna.

The S-350 sure "looks" impressive, though, even if it doesn't
"perform" impressively. That is eton/Grundig's "ace-in-the-hole" and
why many people buy their less-than-stellar radios (exceptions: the
Yacht-boy 400 and the S-800, both digital and both more expensive).

The real advantage of an analog-tuned radio is its quiet circuitry,
but even that can be overcome in a well-designed digital radio, such
as the Sony.

Please note that the above is my opinion only. Others may disagree.

Best of luck,

Joe

(Arthur Pozner) wrote in message ...
Have used it for about 3 months now. Seems like a good
sounding and well thought out portable .
However, why does it drift down in frequency as the temperature
increases? As a test, I had it set to a station in the 21 MHz broadcast
band and to my horror seen frequency set go down...30 to 60 KHz as if
something was moving it ! What kind of gremlin did Tecsun,the OEM, plant
in it? Why it is not modified; as far as I know this is has been a
problem since its inception- nearly two years ago!!