Old September 8th 04, 08:18 PM
Wes Stewart

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 12:26:35 -0500, (Richard
Harrison) wrote:

|Jimmy wrote:
|"Using a cold water pipe is a bad idea and is not allowed by some local
|codes even though it may be allowed by the national code."
|
|You don`t want to be electrocuted when holding an electric appliance and
|a cold water valve simultaneously.

No kidding. I added a laundry room and attached garage to my house.
The former owner/builder had intentions to do something similar but
had not for whatever reason. He had stubbed out hot water from the
house (concrete slab on grade, pipes under slab) but not cold water.

I ran an exterior cold supply from the service entrance using PVC
underground and copper inside. I added another ground rod and 100' of
4 AWG buried at the base of the new footing and grounded the new cold
supply with it.

IMHO you can't have too many ground connections.

|My electric company, the former Houston Lighting and Power Company,
|writes:
|"All services shall be properly grounded. Note - NEC requires grounding
|to a "metallic underground water piping system" if available. Acceptable
|alternatives include a driven ground rod which is preferred by HL&P Co.
|regardless of the type grounding electrode used. NEC requires that the
|"interior cold water pipimg system" be bonded to it."