Old September 8th 04, 08:21 PM
Richard

"Richard Clark" wrote in message
On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 15:25:35 +0100, "Richard"
wrote:

Just wondering: If you had a 33 foot horizontal wire, fed at one end

with a
ladder line, which was connected to an atu, it would work on 20 metres,

but
would it work on 40, 80 and 160metres? TIA.

Hi Rich,

It might, but your atu might not. ATUs are not a one-size-fits-all
solution. In fact they fit very few problems that are not already
pretty close (and what you describe above and in other posts is
definitely not close). Maybe two bands will pull in, the others will
not (unless the loss of the ATU adds to the appearance of being
"tuned").

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Hi.

I know the zeppalin antenna I described works when the top wire is a half
wavelength or greater. I was just wondering if the set up (ie 10 metre
length of top) might at least be a good as a 20 metre long inverted L (well,
L on it's side) on 40, 80 & 160, using a not very good ground arrangement.

Thing with the zepp is that there is no ground losses. Thing is, ground
losses with inverted L are probably replaced by greater atu losses? And of
course the inverted L would radiate also from the vertical section which
migh be useful. I do wonder of the two arrangements, which would be better.
I wonder also whther I might not get a true balance on the open line when
the top is less than half a wavelength.