Old June 22nd 04, 06:57 AM
Mark Keith

Arthur Pozner wrote:
Drake used to carry a modification kit to cure
that problem,but it was not very serious-1 to 2 Khz in the most extreme
cases. I can live with that. Nobody is perfect.

Some are pretty close though...My Kenwood TS-830 using the external PLL
VFO-230 is ultra stable. I mean, you could tune in a ssb station and
listen for MONTHS at a time, and not hear drift. There is also no warmup
drift on that VFO. But the internal L/C VFO in that radio does move a
bit with temp changes. But!, it's VERY linear...If you can keep the temp
stable, the radio will be also. Pretty much the same for my IC-706, as
long as it's in the house, or any fairly stable temp, you won't notice
any drift. You are right about one thing...The drift is thermal, not
mechanical. All l/c type VFO's are prone. The better ones use temp
compensating caps to increase stability. MK
--
http://web.wt.net/~nm5k