Old September 9th 04, 01:36 AM
Doug Goncz

Gosh, is my face pink.

You all were right when you wrote to use a balun and 75 ohm coax, not
twinax line to run to the input of the radio. The ring connector on
the OEM dipole is a copy-protection throwoff. The true connection is
that one leg is _grounded_ to the sleeve/barrel/chassi, and the other
is connected to the tip terminal. I determined this with a sewing pin
to penetrate the dipole insulation and an ohmmeter.

But Don Foreman is instructing me in how to rewind my 300:75 ohm balun
to 75:75 ohms for the open six element triple drive antenna so my face
isn't red. That is, I am learning something.

Later, in my shop, I will install the balun core to the Wizard board
and go back to the twinax, so that the Wizard can accept a the big
antenna the way it is now, but with the plug in all the way instead of
just part way, or a new flexible open dipole that is a true balanced
dipole and doesn't have one leg grounded. It can be made from a bit of
twinax, or the existing dipole can simply be soldered to a fresh TRS
connector.

Do any of you know a software patch to get lower than 88 MHz on the
Wizard? I'd like to listen to ATC.

Doug