Old June 24th 04, 01:19 AM
Tony Meloche

Michael Salmons wrote:

Hi,

I've finally purchased a fine desktop SW receiver, and I'd like to
have a nice antenna to use with it as well. I've made a number of
antennas for mediumwave, and I'd like to do the same for SW. I've read
several descriptions found online and think I've settled on Arnie
Coro's broomstick antenna or the 7m sloper just for a starter. Has
anyone tried either of these? Or would you recommend something else
for a good starter DIY antenna? My primary listening interests are
Africa and the Pacific and I live in the midwestern US.

Thanks,

Michael Salmons
salmonsm @ missouri . edu

I've read the other responses to this post, and you've gotten good
advice.
If you want to start simple, spend .89¢ at any discount store for a hank
of bell wire. One end to your antenna input, about 40' of it elevated
as high as practical in your situation. If you have to go "around the
room", that's OK too.
You might be amazed how well you can do with just that (and note I am
NOT saying that is a "great antenna" - it's rudimentary - but it is a
very quick and inexpensive way to experiment with the concept). Also,
try another 10' of the wire hooked to your ground terminal, and just
trailing across the floor as a counterpoise. May help, may not. Later,
read up n the suggested articles, and decide on a more sophisticated
approach that appeals to you or would work well in your situation.
Above all, have fun and keep logs! The logs will tell you (over time)
how much improvement your "new and improved" antenna(s) are giving you -
and you'll be constantly working to improve it, if you're like most of
us.

Tony