Old June 25th 04, 11:30 PM
Jim Haynes

Seems like those books like Passport to World Band Radio used to have some
receiver reviews inside.

You don't want to get a radio that is too crummy to start with, or he will
lose interest just because it's too much hard work to use it. For the same
reason I would suggest putting up an outdoor antenna right away - or at
least string up a good length of wire indoors - so you can receive more
stuff better than you can with just the whip.

I wouldn't rule out SSB, since that allows listening to hams and fishing
boats and airplanes. Granted that some of them say things we would rather
our kids don't hear; but then they are going to hear that kind of talk on
the streets anyway.

I'd get a set of earphones to go with it, if you don't have them already.
Some of the best listening comes after bedtime.

One drawback I can see to the Grundig is that it stops at 27 MHz rather than
going up to 30. So you can hear CB but not the top ham band. Not that the
29 MHz ham band is good for much in this part of the sunspot cycle, but...

--

jhhaynes at earthlink dot net