Old September 9th 04, 11:32 PM
Dave

yeah, and its worse than that. most times they only use 1/2" or 5/8"
diameter rods, and the 6' spacing becomes 3' 'or so' when they do more than
one, which seems to be getting more common. the last electrician i hired
actually put 2 rods at a separate garage service entrance without being
prompted.... but maybe it was all the towers and other rods around that
convinced him he should do it right before i said anything.

"Reg Edwards" wrote in message
I am not very familiar with USA power-grounding regulations and they
probably vary from state to state. But I am under the impression that in
some simple circumstances, perhaps domestic, a single ground rod is
considered adequate for safety purposes.

Under similar circumstances a maximum ground electrode resistance (

whatever
its construction ) of 50 ohms is specified.

A 'standard' ground rod is 8 feet long and 1 inch in diameter.

An average soil resistivity is 500 ohm-metres ( = 2 mS ). See Eznec?

The calculated resistance of a single standard rod in average soil is 194
ohms. ( I'm sure the calculating formula can be found somewhere on the

IEEE
shelves. There ought to be greater use made of it. )

Now I don't expect the alarm bells to be rung from Washington to LA. But
isn't there a serious inconsistency somewhere?

As a matter of interest, the resistances to ground of 2, 3 and 4 rods in
parallel, spaced 6 feet apart in average soil, are as follows -

2 Rods = 113 ohms
3 Rods = 86 ohms
4 Rods = 70 ohms

all of which exceed the specified maximum of 50 ohms.

Quite a low average soil resistivity of about 130 ohms is needed to bring

50
percent of installations within specification.

If my starting data is wildly adrift then disregard my waffle.
----
Reg, G4FGQ