Old June 28th 04, 02:43 AM
Mike W

Don't knock the 1102 unless you've tried one. Its a great little SW radio.
Disregarding price, country of origin, and physical size I'd say this is
still one of the best portables out there right now.

"B EHart" wrote in message
On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 22:55:57 GMT, I was against it before I was for it
wrote:

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 08:56:49 -0300, "jtaylor"
wrote:

He was playing with an old radio shack dx-100 that's in the wood shop

the
other day and said "This is really neat. I want a shortwave radio."

(I know the dx-100 is a piece of junk.)

When I was a kid the neat thing was turning the knob slowly on the am

tube
radio that glowed beside the bed, volume up, listening to signals coming

out
of the crackles. Um, that's still neat.

But today sw is better because you can get a radio that won't drift.

So -

If there is a digital radio that tuned like an analog one - not just the
knob, but the SOUND; and it was not too big, and not too much $, and not

too
complicated - no ssb, no sync det, etcetera - well then, I'd like to

know
about it. 12th birthday is in two weeks.

Take a look at the DEGEN 1102. It is an excellent portable radio. I
have recommended this as a first radio to several people. It is
probably the best sub $80.00 radio you can find. It compares favorably
to radios costing twice as much.

The guy never said he needed a cheap radio. He just said he wanted
one for his kid. Do you guys ever buy on quality? No wonder
everything's made in China now. Forget the price. Get something the
kid will remember for listening - not for fixing.