Old September 10th 04, 07:38 PM
Steve Nosko

"Walter Maxwell" wrote in message
On 10 Sep 2004 16:10:57 GMT, Allodoxaphobia wrote:

I am a newbie here and have just dropped in to ask a single technical
question.

Living as I do in a suburban area, I use an FM antenna to draw the

stations
located in
a certain vector from me. A station of interest is located at 107.1MHz

but
is interfered with by an off-axis stronger signal at 106.9MHz

Hello Bryce,

I'm sure you're aware that these two frequencies are adjacent channels.

The FCC
allocated channels such that adjacent channels stations would not be

located in
the same geographical area, expressly fo the purpose of preventing such
interference. Obviously the two channels involved are not in the same

area, and
it seems strange to me that you can even hear the station on 107.1 MHz.

Walt, W2DU

When you are BETWEEN markets, this is common. Or, if you want to listen
to a distant station and the wrong one is close. I'm equi-distant from
Chicago, Milwaukee and Rockford and have this problem hearing WDCB 90.9,
west of CHi-town with WHAD 90.7, S-W of Milwaukee pounding in. They're in
different markets.

This was discussed not to long ago here. A notch in the antenna pattern
is not too difficult. Two vertical dipoles spaced (about) a half wave and
fed with the proper feed line so they are 180 degrees out from each other,
can make a nice null - actually two. They are perpendicular to the plane of
the antennas. I'd have to sit and tinker to remember the feed system, but
there has to be 1/2 wave more feed line in one dipole, compared to the
other.
It is also possible to do the same thing and get a one notch pattern
(cardioid). If I recall, the antennas are spaced 1/4 wave apart and the
feed is 3/4 wave of feed line between them. Again, the receiver simply
connects to one of them and the null is off one end.
--
Steve N, K,9;d, c. i My email has no u's.