Old June 30th 04, 07:01 AM
Corwin, Prince of Amber

Default Excuse me. Do you *really* need a license?

New user. I know I may (hopefully not) get 9 angry replies and 1 who
understands my ignorance and will provide an articulate reponse, but
I'll take my chances.

So what if I invent my call sign, learn the lingo, and start using my
2M radio without jumping through all the hoops to get licensed. Does
anyone *really* care? Is 'big brother' really going to bust through
my front door with a SWAT team? Of the 1+ million HAM operators, how
many are actually fined each year for doing what I'm considering?

If I stick with it instead of packing the radio up and putting it next
to my photography equipment, I will get licensed, I promise.

Also, even if I *really do* need a license to transmit, I don't need a
license to turn the radio on and listen, do I?

Rick Bryan
New York, NY