Old June 30th 04, 08:32 PM
JJ

Corwin, Prince of Amber wrote:
New user. I know I may (hopefully not) get 9 angry replies and 1 who
understands my ignorance and will provide an articulate reponse, but
I'll take my chances.

So what if I invent my call sign, learn the lingo, and start using my
2M radio without jumping through all the hoops to get licensed.

You will either pick a callsign that is already assigned to an amateur
or maybe pick one not yet assigned. Either way a simple lookup on
QRZ.COM or the ARRl site, or the FCC data base will verify that you are
not legal.

Does
anyone *really* care?

Yes, those hams who took the time and effort to study and pass the exams
for their license and *earn* the priviledge to operate on the ham bands
certainly care and take a very dim view of what you propose.

Is 'big brother' really going to bust through
my front door with a SWAT team?

No one is going to bust through your front door, but the hams, who will
uncover you sharade rather quickly, will file a report with the FCC and
you will get one of those letters wanting to know why you are
transmitting on the ham bands without a license and to continue doing so
can result in a hefty fine.

Of the 1+ million HAM operators,

More like 680,000 in the U.S.

how
many are actually fined each year for doing what I'm considering?

By the fact that they are HAMS means they are licensed, so they won't be
doing what you are considering. However, doing what you are considering,
operating in the ham bands without a license, several. By the way, it is
very easy for the hams to DF your signal and find exactly your location.

If I stick with it instead of packing the radio up and putting it next
to my photography equipment, I will get licensed, I promise.

Why not just go ahead and get the license instead of the assurance of
being caught operationg illegally, in which case the FCC may deny any
request you make later to become licensed.

Also, even if I *really do* need a license to transmit, I don't need a
license to turn the radio on and listen, do I?

You do not need a license to just listen.