Old July 4th 04, 10:02 PM
Steve Silverwood

In article Dn8yc.30447$My6.27367@fed1read05,
says...
Brian,

Thanks!

From the examples here on this site, I'd say it's probably some of the
computer equipment around the apartment.

I turn the monitor off and power off the computer, but my cable modem stays
on always. And even though the monitor is turned off, it's still connected
to the power cord and may very well be generating RFI.

I'll experiement with actually unpluging some of it and find out.

One handy tool to have is an old AM transistor radio, like the
FlavoRadios that Radio Shack used to sell. If you don't have one, you
can probably find one at a local swap meet or garage sale. Tune to
someplace between stations, then move it around where you think the
cause of the noise might be. As you get closer to the source, the
intensity will increase.

Also, if your computer is one of the newer ones, it may be partially
operating even though the computer is off. Example: the Optiplex
desktop systems from Dell will light up at the LAN port in the back if
the computer is plugged in to the AC power, and an active network cable
is connected. That's due in part to the wake-on-LAN capabilities of
modern systems which allow network administrators to "wake up" a
computer via a command from the network to do things like virus scans
and backups overnight or on the weekends. So even if the computer is
off, it may still be "on" -- disconnect the AC power during the course
of your troubleshooting to be sure.

--

-- //Steve//

Steve Silverwood, KB6OJS